Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, July 17, 2009

ADO Elements Challenge


ADO, "Art Dolls Only" team is hosting an art doll challenge. Members and art doll enthusiasts were asked to create a doll in the theme of "elements", and then post their doll on their blog today. Click the picture above to see the list of participants on the ADO team blog, then go blog visiting to see what everyone came up with! The challenge pieces will be posted all week
end.

I am a water lover. I was raised at a Lake, I've lived at the ocean, and I'm a water sign. Both of my c
hildren were born under water. So it is no great surprise that I chose WATER as my element and I sculpted three mermaids. I gave them each a Hawaiian name.


Here is the first mermaid I did. Her name is Lokelani
(lo-kay-lan-ee).



Lokelani is a one of a kind handmade art doll. She is 9" tall including her base. The shells in her hair were picked up on the beaches of Kauai, and she wears a piece of sunrise shell (a rare and beautiful shell the color of the sunrise) in back. Lokelani is mostly polymer clay. I used a starfish from a vintage box of treasures I inherited, and I did not buy it, you know they kill them just to sell to tourists at the beach, so please don't buy them new!

Next I sculpted a silly little lady named Ke'alohi, which means "the brightness".


She is a polymer clay sculpture which I have mounted to a large clam shell. I painted the clam shell to resemble abalone, and added a few sparkly details.

Her hair is Tibetan lambs wool, she wears Swarovski crystals and seashells in her hair. Ke'alohi stands 7.5" tall including base, and is 6" across.

Finally I made "Pikake" which is the name for a Hawaiian flower used to make leis.


Pikake is the most inquisitive of the three, and I love the movement I achieved with her. It is as if she is swimming in a circular dance. Her hair is spiky and wild, and she is mounted on a silk flower which is meant to represent a colorful anemone.

All three of these mermaids are for sale in my Etsy Shop.
Thanks for looking at my ADO Element Dolls!

16 comments:

3rdEyeMuse said...

all three are terrific, but I am soooooooo taken by Pikaki ... such a delight!

Northbrook Designs said...

They are so good. I think I am partial to Pikake. She has a great sense of humour behind all that curiosity. Well done, Romona

Sarah said...

You have made such a lovely family of Mermaids! They all have such sweet little faces and I love their colourful hair!

Abi said...

She's brilliant!

Unknown said...

what lovely mermaids you have!! love them!!!

Unknown said...

Couldn't make just one? ha ha ha I know how that goes! They are so much fun to look at and I am glad you told me about the starfish because I had no idea they did that!
Your mermaids are really fun! Thank you for sharing. :o)

Unknown said...

I love them all. Pikake is my favorite. Great!

Zan Asha said...

I love all of your mermaid friends! They are so whimsical...you clearly are drawn to your little water spirit friends (or vice versa?)

jasmoonbutterfly said...

Yep fav is Pikake...but all are wonderful x

Vee said...

I love the movement and good humor -- your trio of mermaids are delightful!

Cody Goodin said...

Awesome trio. Great work.

Christine said...

These are so beautiful Waxela!The arched necks, purple hair, all so feminine and representative of water:)
Hope all is going well and that yo are enjoying your trip:)

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

Those are both beautiful!

Christina said...

your mermaids are so lovely! they have a very curious look in their eyes. Pikake really made me smile! also i love how you were so creative with their bases!

Anonymous said...

They are beautiful!

Las Noches said...

they are so pretty! I love mermaids